The results of a new peer-reviewed study published in the International Journal of Angiology have shown that a supplement known as Pycnogenol® (pic-noj-en-all) may be beneficial in improving varicose veins caused by pregnancy.
Pycnogenol® is a plant extract from French maritime pine tree bark. This study shows that the Pycnogenol® natural supplement can improve the appearance, swelling and discomfort of pregnancy related varicose veins and spider vein clusters.
All the women in the study had developed spider veins and varicose veins during their second pregnancy, whereby none of the women reported any vein problems prior to their second pregnancy.
The study, which was open-registry, took place at the Chieti-Pescara University in Italy. All of the 133 participating women were recommended to wear compression stockings, which is the standard treatment for pregnant women suffering with enlarged veins. In addition to wearing compression stockings 64 of these women also took the Pycnogenol® natural extract.
The main issue with wearing compression stockings for a year or more after pregnancy to improve spider veins and varicose veins is “patient noncompliance”.
Many patients don’t wear their compression stockings regularly because they find them uncomfortable.
This study shows that compression stockings in combination with the Pycnogenol® extract can considerably shorten the recovery time from visible veins, swelling and pain to merely 6 months instead of 12 month or more.
Six Months of Pycnogenol® Treatment Plus Compression Stockings Showed the Following Results:
- Considerably less varicose veins as compared to the control group
- Significant reduction of spider veins compared to no significant change in the control group
- Notable reduction in leg cramps in the Pycnogenol® group (4.6% with Pycnogenol® versus 12.5% in control group)
- Less pain and discomfort with long periods of standing
- Reduced swelling – after six months, only one Pycnogenol® patient reported swelling as compared to more than 13% in the control group
- Significant decrease in patients requesting additional treatments, e.g. sclerotherapy or minor surgery versus the control group
For additional information about the benefits of Pycnogenol® for venous issues please visit
If you liked this post please let us know by clicking the Facebook like button or the G+1 button below. We also appreciate any comments and personal experiences you have to contribute.