Similar to mild compression stockings “moderate” compression stockings still exert a relatively “light” compression level in the range of 15-20 mmHg.
Compression stockings come in several pressure classifications because different types of conditions require different types of graduated compression levels to be applied to the legs.
Moderate strength compression hosiery also falls mostly into the category of preventative compression therapy and is designed to relieve more minor to moderate symptoms.
As with all compression socks, stockings and pantyhose, it is important to pay attention to the leg size and to get very exact measurements before purchasing.
Leg measurements can be obtained best in the following two ways:
- By following precise instructions and doing it yourself or with the help of a caregiver
- By visiting a medical supply store or vein specialist with a professionally trained and certified fitter for compression hosiery
Moderate Compression Stockings or Pantyhose Can Benefit You by:
- Preventing or lessening discomfort from minor to moderate varicose veins
- Preventing or reducing the occurrence of spider veins
- Averting or relieving feelings of tiredness and achiness in the legs and feet
- Relieving minor swelling in the feet, ankles and legs
- Preventing or reducing the incidence of varicose veins and spider veins during pregnancy
- Promoting blood circulation for more healthy and energized feeling legs
- Helping to prevent blood clots during extended travel or with prolonged inactivity
Moderate compression stockings apply noticeably more pressure to your legs than your average support pantyhose.
- Over the calf compression socks (sheer or athletic)
- Sheer knee high compression stockings (open or closed toe, sandal foot or reinforced toes and heels or dress sheer style)
- Sheer thigh high compression stockings (open or closed toe, sandal foot or reinforced toes and heels or dress sheer style)
- Sheer pantyhose style compression stockings (open or closed toe, sandal foot or reinforced toes and heels or dress sheer style)
- Sheer compression leggings (footless and with foot)
Moderate strength graduated compression hose or stockings are available without a physician’s prescription.
Nevertheless, it is always prudent to discuss wearing compression stockings with your medical provider first to ensure there are no underlying conditions that would prevent any individual from doing so.
Moderate compression stockings and support hose can be obtained from many sources such as pharmacies, specialty medical supply stores, department stores and online merchants via the Internet.
In addition to discussing the use of compression stockings with your healthcare provider, it may also be beneficial to educate yourself on the subject as much as possible.
You can find in-depth information on all of these relevant topics by browsing our blog articles, for example…
We would further recommend delving into important topics such as the proper sizing and fitting of compression stockings, how to put them on or take them off best, as well as proper care and maintenance of these compression garments.
It may come as a surprise to you that compression stockings can be fairly pricey depending on the brand, compression level or fashionable design aspects of the hosiery. For that reason, most wearers will want to treat them with the utmost care to get the best and longest possible use out of them.
Depending on their handling and care, you can expect to utilize compression stockings for 4-6 months before they will need to be replaced. Even with adequate care, most compression garments lose their elastic properties after approximately 6 months of continuous use.